Vaping these days is a pretty safe pastime, despite the fact that the media would have us all believe that devices are exploding every day of the week. Nevertheless, it’s still important to handle your batteries properly to ensure that you can vape safely without any worries. So, what do you need to know about your 18650 batteries?
The first thing to note is that e-cigarettes in themselves don’t explode, however the 18650 batteries that they use do run the risk of explosion should they be handled incorrectly. The good news is that looking after your batteries is a breeze as long as you follow these essential tips.
What Steps Can I Take To Care For My Batteries?
There are some simple steps that you should follow to make sure that your e-cig’s batteries are in good working order:
- Check for any defects – although batteries are generally very safe, over time damage is possible. Check your battery regularly and if you see evidence of any external peeling, signs of wear and tear, or holes or dents in the outer wrapping, you should immediately stop using it and use a new one instead.
- Store your battery properly – to make sure that your batteries are stored safely, keep them inside a plastic case whenever you are not using them – improper storage is one of the main causes of battery explosions.
- Keep your battery out of direct sunlight – extreme temperatures can cause your battery to overheat and explode. Never leave it near a flammable material.
- Keep you battery away from other metals – contact with other metals may be dangerous, so ensure that you never leave your battery loose inside a drawer, pocket or purse.
- Keep your e-cig battery clean – always clean your battery if it is dirty, however never do this using water. Use a tissue dipped in alcohol to remove debris or dirt.
- Always charge your battery safely – explosions may sometimes occur if your e-cig battery is charged incorrectly, so take steps to ensure you are recharging in an appropriate manner. Only use a charger which has been designed for use with your specific battery type as using the incorrect charger may cause your battery to overcharge, thus overheating.
- Never overcharge your battery – once your battery is fully charged, always unplug your charger.
- Never use an undercharged battery – not only is overcharging a hazard, but undercharging is also a potential problem. Never use an uncharged battery in your device.
- Always insert your battery properly – always follow your device’s instruction for inserting your e-cig batteries correctly.
- Never stack batteries.
- Always buy your replacement batteries from a reputable and reliable source.
If you follow these sensible and simple tips, you can rest assured that you will be doing your utmost to ensure that your e-cig battery is safe for use. While there is always the possibility of having a faulty battery, taking care and only buying from a reliable source will minimise your chances of having a problem.